elizabethtown
It's confirmed. I don't think Orlando Bloom should act in films with contemporary settings. His face is really for period films (LOTR, Pirates of the Carribean, and Troy).I was a little disappointed with the film, maybe because I expected too much. And why wouldn't I? It's a film by Cameron Crowe! He's one of my personal heroes (a list I once made which includes Baz Luhrman, David E. Kelly and Craig Armstrong) and he created (wrote and directed) so many movies with lines that have been quoted long after their screening times (ex. "You had me at hello," "It's all happening," "Show me the money," etc.).
Here's what I expected from Cameron Crowe:
1. a SUPERB soundtrack, just like the one he came up with for Almost Famous, Jerry Maguire and Vanilla Sky.
2. rip-my-heart-from-my-chest dramatic scenes that'll give me goosebumps
3. an excellent narration of the main character that ties up everything in the movie
4. scenes where the main character acts like a loony out of frustration (like Jerry Maguire's HELP ME HELP YOU scene)
5. a movie with minimal dragging parts...something I'll want to see over and over again
Some songs in the movie were interesting, but some were a little off. There weren't enough dramatic scenes. The narration was all right, but I think it lacked coherence. Orlando Bloom tried to act frustrated in the scene where he got lost driving, but he just couldn't pull it off...at least not the way Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt would, looking adorable while they punched the air and kicked at nothing on the ground. Finally, the movie just didn't have enough events in it to cause the audience's adrenaline to pump.
Nevertheless, it wasn't a waste of time for me because I got two interesting insights from it. The first one was in the narration, when Orlando Bloom realized his failure and said,
"SUCCESS, NOT GREATNESS, WAS THE ONLY GOD OUR WORLD SERVED."
It's a sad reality, but it's true. There are many people who have achieved greatness but are left in the dark simply because they don't have enough money to fuel media coverage.
The other insight was uttered by Kirsten Dunst. Orlando Bloom was trying to give her a compliment and she said she didn't need any ice cream gum. Explanation: she doesn't want to succumb to anybody who says, "Here, take this. It's really sweet and I'm sure you'll like it, but it melts almost instantly." God knows the world has enough transitory things, so compliments shouldn't be like that. People shouldn't say something that they don't really mean.
Cameron Crowe, in my opinion, you have failed this time, but at least, not completely. The movie had an interesting concept, and it was still entertaining somehow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home